Have you been injured in an auto accident?
Has your loved one been injured or killed in an auto accident?
We can help. The Thetford Law Firm, located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, represent people who have been injured, and the families of those who have been killed, in car accidents. The law calls these kinds of cases “personal injury” and “wrongful death” cases. To learn more about how we can help you, see our Personal Injury page.
What should I do if I'm in an auto accident?
Everyone should know what steps to take immediately following an accident to protect the lives, property, and legal rights of those involved. If you are involved in an accident with another vehicle or a pedestrian, take the following steps:
- Stop your car – Never leave the scene of an accident.
- If someone has been injured – Call a doctor or ambulance immediately.
- Notify the police – State law requires you to notify the police.
- Immediately identify other drivers and witnesses – Provide your identification, driver's license and vehicle registration to other drivers involved and obtain this information from them. Get the names and addresses of all witnesses, including passengers.
- Don't discuss the accident with the other driver.
- Do not admit fault.
- Give a statement to the law enforcement officer – If a serious injury has occurred, consult an experienced attorney before making any statement.
- DO NOT make any statements to insurance company representatives. Comments made to the insurance adjuster could jeopardize your recovery at a later time.
- See your doctor – Some of the most serious injuries (such as back and neck injuries) do not immediately result in pain. Get photographs of your injuries, if possible.
- Inform your insurance company – Notify your insurance company as soon as possible. Failure to make a prompt report could jeopardize your insurance coverage.
- Make notes about the accident to help you remember details later.
- Consult an attorney promptly – If an injury or death has occurred, do not attempt to handle the matter yourself. See an experienced lawyer like F. William Thetford.
- DO NOT sign anything without the advice of your attorney – Be cautious in dealing with people offering to adjust or settle your claim, or anyone seeking to hurry you into a settlement. When dealing with the other party’s insurance company, remember that they are in business to make a profit. They are paid to be nice. They may not have your best interest at heart. Do not sign any sort of statement or release for information from your physician without the advice of your attorney.
If you're in an auto accident, remember:
Call an experienced personal injury attorney like F. William Thetford as soon as possible for advice and assistance.
Our attorneys have been handling Oklahoma personal injury cases for over 25 years, and we can help you. If you’re in an accident, call us immediately for assistance. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for free consultation.
Don’t delay – find out your rights as soon as possible. Let us help you. Please contact us for a free initial consultation to discuss your situation. Call 405 235-9229, toll free 800-725-9229, send email to email@example.com or request a free case evaluation.