In 2000 there were 3,936,229 miles of highway in the U.S. according to information compiled by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), Bureau of Transportation Statistics, National Transportation Statistics 2005.
• According to the DOT, the number of registered passenger cars in the U.S. more than doubled from 1960 to 2000 (133,621,420).
• The DOT has estimated that 195,382 lives were saved between 1975-2004 by the use of safety belts and
o 16,905 by air bags
o 23,649 by motorcycle helmets
o 7,472 by child restraints
• According to data compiled and analyzed by the DOT, 42,643 people died in traffic crashes in the United States in 2003.o 25,203 on rural roads
o 16,825 on urban roads
• Of these people killed, 19,460 were occupants of passenger cars, and 3,661 were motorcyclists, and the rest were occupants of trucks and buses, pedestrians and pedacyclists, and other categories.
o The highest number were in zones posted at more than 55 mph
o Single-vehicle crashes resulted in 18,175 fatalities
o Two-vehicle crashes resulted in 15,795 fatalities
o More-than-two-vehicle crashes resulted in 3,162 fatalities
• In 2003, 40 percent of fatalities in highway crashes were alcohol-related.
Disclaimer: This site and any information contained herein is intended for educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. Seek the help of competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.
At the Thetford Law Firm, we handle all types of personal injury and wrongful death cases. We look forward to hearing from you so that we can answer all your questions. For your convenience, you can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you're injured, remember:
Call an experienced personal injury attorney like F. William Thetford as soon as possible for advice and assistance.
Call us for more specific information and find out how
We Can Help You!.
Don’t delay – find out your rights as soon as possible. Let us help you. Please contact us for a free initial consultation to discuss your situation. Call 405 235-9229, toll free 800-725-9229, send email to email@example.com or request a free case evaluation.